Royal Surrey County Hospital (RSCH)
The Guildford SAS laboratory has existed since the foundation of the SAS in 1973 to meet both Health Service and academic needs. Prior to the formation of the SAS the Laboratory was a Regional Centre. It is staffed with highly trained personnel and is fully equipped with the most advanced analytical instrumentation. All work is carried out to the highest standards with a strong emphasis on quality control. With experienced personnel, their expertise and interests, and with facilities at hospital and University sites, the laboratory has developed a range of strengths and features that are regularly applied to specific problems raised by SAS users. These strengths and features include:
- We measure more than 30 elements and can respond to most situations which confront the user laboratory. We also have the background that allows us to tackle an unusual request.
- We analyse different sample types, including tissues.
- We have short turnaround times aiming to complete analyses within a week from receipt of specimen.
- We provide an advisory function concerning the role of trace elements in specific clinical situations and the practical requirements for collection of specimens.
- An active research and development programme is in operation involving collaboration with Health Service users and with Universities, Research Centres, Government Departments, Industry and organisations outside the Health Service, both in Britain and abroad. These contacts provide access to expert information and opinion on unusual or difficult clinical problems.
- Our research work has led to the establishment and continuing organisation of a large international external quality assessment scheme for trace elements in biological specimens. We participate in a variety of EQA programmes relevant to our workload and our results can be inspected by appropriate organisations.
- The Laboratory has been inspected and accredited by CPA(Ltd) and has received certification from the Department of Health to indicate compliance with the principles and practice of GLP.
Laboratory Director: Dr Andrew Taylor
Deputy Director: Dr Chris Harrington
SAS Trace Element Centre
Surrey Research Park
15 Frederick Sanger Road
Tel: +44 (0)1483 689978
Fax: +44 (0)1483 689979