The network of SAS centres for cardiovascular biomarkers was set up in response to an increasing demand for tests, other than routine lipid profiles, to aid in the assessment of patients. The laboratories have much experience in the analysis of lipid fractions by ultracentrifugation, apolipoproteins, immunoassay, immunoaffinity assay, enzyme and transfer factor activities as well as markers of inflammation. The centres are active in the research relating to the mechanism of atherogenesis, familial hypercholesterolaemia, dyslipidaemia, insulin resistance and the metabolic syndrome. Advice can be given on the interpretation of test results and on influences of diet and drugs on lipoprotein metabolism. Genetic tests are also available through the service.
- Glasgow Royal Infirmary Lipid Metabolism Laboratory
- Guildford RSCH Centre for Lipid Metabolism and Measurement
- Newcastle RVI Lipid and Cardiovascular Biomarkers Laboratory
- London Royal Free Hospital Lipid Metabolism Laboratory
- London St. Thomas’ Hospital Lipid Metabolism Laboratory